Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fear Itself

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself."  "It's always darkest before the dawn."  

More than anything else, I think, your humanity is defined by your relationship with fear.   Some people court their fear openly whether they are riding rollercoasters or freefalling out of airplanes; some live those "quiet desperation" lives barely able to leave their homes.  

There is no greater high than beating your fear and there is no greater low than realizing you have sacrificed yourself . . . only because you were afraid.  

I have a friend who loves to run her foot just adjacent to an unsuspecting cat to see how high it will jump.  Watch the stock market these days and you will see the ones who yell "Fire" in new crowded theaters.   Forcing someone else to expose their fears can make you feel more at ease with your own; in the right circumstances it can also make you a lot of money.  

Don't kid yourself . . . something is always ending . . .but something is always beginning just beyond that.  

What would you do if you weren't afraid?  

1 comment:

czrswyf said...

I appreciate the freedom and glory that comes with overcoming a fear. I bungee jumped from 300 feet when my chicken boyfriend wouldn't. I jumped from a perfectly good aircraft at 10,000 feet. I felt totally alive and in command of my life both times.

I don't fear much. I feel fear is a waste of time, as is worry. Nothing can be changed by worrying about it or fearing it. Just jump in and get it done. Don't even waste time thinking about it.